IT IS CRUCIAL THAT YOU TAKE PROPER CARE OF YOUR NEW TATTOO. YOUR TATTOO WILL NOT HEAL WELL IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES. YOUR ARTIST IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES RESULTING FROM POOR AFTERCARE.
Do not let anyone touch your new tattoo. Keep your new tattoo covered to protect it from bacteria. Leave the bandage on for a minimum of one hour. If SecondSkin is used, keep on for 2-3 days.
Washing Your Tattoo
Use lukewarm water and an antibacterial soap like carex to gently wash the area. Do not use a washcloth, just your hand. (We recommend that you remove the SecondSkin in the shower, allowing water to wash over the tattoo and SecondSkin as you remove it.) Your tattoo may feel slimy – this slime is called plasma. Try to gently remove as much of this possible, as when plasma dries, it creates scabs. Gently pat (do not rub) the area firmly with a clean paper towel. *DO NOT use cloth towels as they hold bacteria.* Follow with a light application of butterluxe balm or cocoa butter. Use these products for a minimum of two weeks. *DO NOT use vaseline or alcohol!*
Bathing and Swimming
You can shower with a new tattoo. It is ok to get your tattoo wet. But DO NOT soak your new tattoo. Submerging your tattoo can cause damage or infection. Swimming, hot tubs and baths should be avoided for at least 2 weeks.
Scabbing and Peeling
After a few days, you may notice some peeling and possibly a little scabbing – this is a normal part of the healing process. *DO NOT apply ointment or lotion to scabs.* You will also start to itch when it begins to heal. *DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH YOUR TATTOO!* If the skin itches, slap it. If it is peeling, put lotion on it. If it is scabbing, let it heal.
After your tattoo is healed, always protect it from the sun. Use a minimum of 30-SPF sunblock.
- Remove the bandage after 2 to 3 hours unless SecondSkin is used –keep SecondSkin on for 2-3 DAYS.
- Wash the tattoo area with lukewarm water and gentle soap.
- Pat dry with a clean paper towel.
- Apply a thin layer of Butterluxe or cocoa butter.
- Don’t scratch, peel or pick at your tattoo.
- Avoid hot tubs, swimming pools and the beach during the healing process (approximately 2 weeks)
- Always apply a high SPF sunscreen on the tattoo before exposure to the sun
What NOT to Do:
- DO NOT let anyone touch your new tattoo.
- DO NOT use ointments other than what was recommended by your tattoo artist
- DO NOT apply lotion or ointments to scabs
- DO NOT use rubbing alcohol, peroxide or cortisone.
- DO NOT use cloth towels as they can harbor bacteria.
- DO NOT pick, peel or scratch your new tattoo.
- DO NOT soak your new tattoo.
- DO NOT expose your new tattoo to direct sunlight.
If abnormal irritation, redness, swelling or fever should appear, please contact your physician.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us